Followers

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

THERE IS SOMETHING HIDING IN THAT CLOSET!

It is Thanksgiving eve.  One Turkey is done and the other is now in the roaster.  I have read about brineing a turkey, so that's what we did today.  We will see how they taste tomorrow.  Nothing like experimenting on family.  Right?


The majority of the day has been spent getting rid of "stuff."  I cannot believe how much stuff we have.  It is mind boggling.  It took one day to sort through my closet!  Did you know that closets can grow?  Mine sure has.  Not only can I walk into the closet, I could have a dance in there!


We have bags stuffed to go to The Refuge. The Refuge is a Christian organization that provides food, clothing, furniture, training,  counseling and encouragement to people in need.  Before people can be encouraged spiritually, they must have their physical needs filled.  We try to support The Refuge as much as we can.


I have one more closet to go through.  The coat closet is going to be more of a challenge for John than for me.  He has way too many winter jackets and coats.  I have just what is necessary.  He probably has three or four times the clothes that I have.  Now, this guy has some major decisions to make since the motorhome will hold only so much "stuff."


I am more of a minimalist.  He is a gatherer.  But I do have a few things in the closet that I must make a decision whether to donate or keep.  They are the most recent clothing purchases prior to my gaining back the lost weight.  The problem....they are in perfectly good shape.  Hardly worn.  What's a person to do.....I dunno.  I am sure I will make a decision between now and when we list the house.  


I surely do like the lack of clutter in closets, drawers and cabinets.  Tomorrow, I will see a niece who has and collects Fiesta Ware.  I have Fiesta only because I got it when we moved John's mom from her home to ours.  Fiesta -  Another bunch of "stuff" that will not fit into the motorhome.  


We have decided that instead of selling our antiques one at a time, we will call dealers, get quotes and sell to the dealer with the highest bid.  


Now to find a way to sell all of MIL's quilting fabric and supplies.  I did join a Yahoo quilting group with the intention of posting items there.  



THEN there is John's HO trains.  He was building a layout, collecting and constructing trains etc. and has more stuff than a train store!  He is going to sell this "stuff" at a show/sale Saturday.  He has packed quite a few plastic tubs and is working on more.  Oh my.  


I know this is hard for him to "let go."  He has worked on this hobby for at least fifteen years.  It has been a labor of love.  I have left him along to sort, price and to say good-by.  


It is really sad, because I can take my fiber with me and continue creating my art on the road.    I will have both my spinning wheel and my circular sock machine.  They provide the fun money for our trips.  


But!  He is now tying flies for fishing and is becoming interested in rock hounding.  So, he is saying good-by to some thing and welcome to two new interests.  


Yesterday,  our granddaughter, Megan, came by for my sewing machine and brought along Harper, her daughter and our great grand!  Wow! so much fun!  


Her capau took time out from his trains to play with her and they were having a grand ole time!  


She said that she wants to go on a trip with us.  But I don't think Meg will let her go yet.  Rats!  


Maybe she can come along when she's a bit older.  Yesterday, she was six months old.  She's a tiny thing.  


Well, the turkey is five degrees from being done.  Then I can go to bed!  Tomorrow, comes the rest of the cooking.  


Happy Thanksgiving to all.  Let's remember the soldiers who are away from their families to help protect us from harm.  Let's pray that they will be safe and return home quickly.  


God bless you and your families.  

4 comments:

  1. Hope your turkey turns out really good. Happy Thanksgiving to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!
    Am I wrong in thinking John wanted to find a small weaving loom for himself to add to his hobbies? Seems he has a rigid heddle loom but wanted something "foldable" with shafts? The Ashford I bought has 3 weaving widths available (16, 24, and 32), with both loom and stand folding up nicely, with or without a warp on it. I would recommend the Ashford, but I'm partial to hanging beaters. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Closets can be scary places:) Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Your great granddaughter is darling!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. We do enjoy hearing from you.